Thursday, December 01, 2005

on bloggers rocking

Blog Happy Hour last night was great! Thank you to the lovely hostesses for putting on such a great event, and especially to I-66 and KOB-- I-66 was the first DC blogger to ever comment here and KOB is the Godfather of this little sphere, so I have a special place in my cold stone heart for both of them. Good luck to Laura, who is running a fantastic charity that everyone should give money to, and who when I started ticking off her 2L classmates I know, shouted "Oh my God, you know every Jew at GW Law!" Yes Laura, that's probably true.

See, only other bloggers know what it's like to be a ho to your sitemeter, to willingly open up your personal life for public scrutiny and only a fellow blogger would understand why I had a twenty-minute conversation with the charming Heather B. about meeting Stephanie Klein. Other bloggers are the friendly extroverts who don't hesitate to introduce themselves with "Hi, I write Sharkbait!" them giggle a bit at the oddness yet clear practicality of introducing oneself by one's blog name. Furthermore, general consensus among Washington bloggers is that Jessica Cutler is a skank who serves absolutely no purpose and is generally the Ugg boot of women, thus illustrating the wit and wisdom of the DC blogger world.

D was good enough to come with me as a buffer guest at the beginning of the night, to help ease my nerves until the cocktails set in. Chatting with her and another girl whose sitename I sadly lost in a gimlet haze, she asked us why we blog. It was funny; for all the navel-gazing that goes on here I'd never really thought about it. "Well," I answered, "it's because I have to write. I just need to. Whether it's venting or documenting, I just need to write."

"So why don't you just keep a journal?" D asked.

The other girl and I looked at each other for a second and I looked back at D. "Narcissism. Honestly! People reading your writing feels great."

Well, it turns out that meeting those people was even greater. Thanks for a really fun night, all.

14 comments:

Sub Girl said...

I think i met you last night...well, nice blog!

I-66 said...

I definitely overheard the "why do you blog" conversation, only I can't remember who else was involved. I'm disappointed to have not met KOB - didn't even know he was there.

bettyjoan said...

Nice to meet you (and your friend) last night! Definitely hook me up with the links to your community theater. I have my "blog family," now I need my "musical theater family"!

Heather B. said...

It's nice to know others who believe in Narcissism and reading SK.

and I didn't meet KOB either nor did I know that he was there.

DC Cookie said...

Oh yes, it's all about the attention. It was nice to meet you...twice! ;-)

Lightsplashed said...

"The Ugg Boot of women". Thanks for making me laugh!

I-66 said...

Ok... you win:

I-66's first comment on Urban Fantasy/EJ Takes Life: July 22

EJ's first comment on Yeah So I'm...: July 27

What do you win? I'm not sure.

ejtakeslife said...

Boo-yah! I win gloating privileges, natch : )

Sharkbait said...

I am glad I could correctly capture the excitement I was feeling through my introductions!!

It was great to meet you!

I-66 said...

gloat all you want.. I could just go for a dirty bong water.

Law-Rah said...

Great to meet ya EJ! The Jew Crew says hi:-)

Asian Mistress said...

Sorry I said hi and ran!

Rock on!

Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

I thought I commented here already, but turns out, I didn't. ;)

Anyway, it was vunderbar to meet you too; you seemed absolutely super-cool. Glad you had a good time!

costa rica said...

Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com