1. I can sing the entirety of both alto and soprano parts of Carmina Burana from memory in both German and Latin. I can also do big chunks of Mozart's Requiem and Handel's Messiah. This sounds kind of impressive to the layperson, but anyone who at all knows choral music and is reading this is totally thinking "big whoop." Still, I'm kind of proud of it, even though it practically never gets me laid.
2. Every once in a while I peruse the admissions websites for MFA programs in acting. Not that I'll ever apply, but it does me good, knowing that I could at least technically fulfill the admission requirements.
3. I have terrible teeth. I mean, they look great but are secretly, really terrible. I mean, my four front teeth are actually elaborate permanent crowns because my childhood dentist said that if I didn't replace them with falsies, they would probably fall out before I finished grad school. Yay, bad genes!
3a. When I got these fake teeth put in I happened to be in the throes of an undiagnosed kidney infection, and spent the entire (un-anesthetized) procedure thrashing about in unbelievable pain and discomfort from multiple parts of my poor body. I now have a pathological fear of all things dentist, second only to my irrational fear of sharks.
4. My maternal grandmother came down with severe Alzheimer's in her early 50s and even though I was twelve when she died, I never knew her. My mom, her daughter, is now 55. I'm scared it runs in the family, and think about this every time I have to repeat myself to her.
5. When someone says that something "made [me] grow as a person," I want to tear out chunks of my hair from annoyance. A person? Really? As opposed to what, a fungus? This phrase is the reason, more than the drunken threeways or the fact that I'm at least nominally an adult now, why I don't watch The Real World anymore.
6. I haven't decided whether to keep my name if I get married or give it to any kids I may have, and my reasons both ways have nothing to do with feminism. On the one hand, I really don't like my last name. It's an unsonorous noun that easily lends itself to sex jokes, and, well, I just don't like the sound of it. On the other hand, my dad's side of the family has not done well in preserving it. My only male cousin on that side changed his last name for a variety of reasons I won't go into, and my other female cousins already have changed their names or have distanced themselves far enough from the family that they would never pass it on to their kids. So basically, it could die out in my generation. For all the mistakes that side of the family has made over the decades, I don't know if I can let that happen on my watch.
7. I currently have twenty-six mosquito bites on my legs. I itch. Stupid outdoor wedding receptions.
8. I alphabetize all my DVDs and VHS tapes. Oh, and I still own VHS tapes. That's weird, right?