Saturday, July 30, 2005

This weekend in crappy filmmaking



Maybe I've just been in liberal, politically correct enclaves my entire life...

But why isn't anyone talking about how incredibly offensive-sounding this movie is? Every time I hear "You know it's hard out there for a pimp!" blaring from my TV, I think "And sucks for the girls whose vaginas he sells for 20 bucks a pop."

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I have another item for my list of Reasons to Avoid a Movie at All Costs: any "spontaneous" protofeminist singalong of an easy listening hit. It worked once, in My Best Friend's Wedding, but it never will again. Extra demerits if the song is so bad (ahem, Partridge Family-esque level of bad) that it actually threatens to eclipse an infinetely superior moment also involving music, John Cusack and women behaving in very silly ways. You know what I'm talking about... don't make me mention it in the same space as this drivel.

Thank god the weekend is full of plans with actual people and that the heat has finally broken. Another week like this one (speaking of both emotions and temperatures) and I might have sat through one of these just for the sake of distraction.

No comments: