Monday, September 12, 2005

back to school

It felt like time for a change. Besides, I really don't care for pink and therefore my blog shouldn't be swamped in it. I've learned a decent amount of HTML over the last few months and tried to personalize this template, but apparently there's a lot still to learn. Maybe I'll get ambitious later and actually make it my own.

The heat has broken, I start class tonight and the midseason party for kickball was a big bleary beery blast, which all can only mean one thing-- fall is here! My favorite time of the year. Fall is apple orchards and trench coats, football games and crisp breezes, lazy long shadows on the Mall and squooshy sweaters with too-long sleeves. Even though the trees start to die, it feels like everything else is renewed. Keep your spring and summer. I like my days bracing and waning, with just a touch of melancholy. I like the Emerson skies, with heavy gray clouds pressing down a sense of gentle foreboding. I call them Emerson skies because I used to stare out the windows of Emerson Elementary School at them, daydreaming about escaping from the confines of Tim's science class or Penny's copper-enameling lessons and running wild under those wise, heavy midwestern skies.

Fall reminds me of the beginning to Peter Pan: "All this has happened before, and it will all happen again." As light starts to fade earlier and the sunshine becomes muted, daytime takes on a new sweetness. Fall is the best season for finding oneself in a patch of light, looking around and sighing in contentment; that for one moment all feels right with the world.

The lazy days are over for now, and I couldn't be happier for it.

No comments: